Oct 2, 2009

Words of advice from one of our readers...!

Hi, Cal,

Just wanted to tell you I read your blog. Sue Orr, the VISTA who works for City Club Missoula (where I am chair of the Trustees) and who is my goddaughter’s mom, turned me on to it. You might remember me from the CBI in Helena. I was born in Glendive (my family lived next to St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church) although we left when I was quite young and I have only been back once as an adult. Your and Jess’s exposure to the people of Eastern Montana is going to change you and frame your view of life forever. You know that and it comes across in your blog. Keep up the good work. At the end of your time there, my bet is the community is going to conclude they were deeply enriched by your presence. Likewise, you are going to conclude you got back more than you gave.

Two things I want to alert you to. You may already be tuned in to them, but it will be worth it to hear of it again from a friendly person across this huge state of ours. First, in your associations with the locals, be on the lookout for someone who hunts agates. Beautiful agates are found in that area and having a ring or pin or earrings or whatever made from an agate you found yourself will be an immediate lifelong attachment to Glendive. People guard their agate sites like fisherman are secret about their favorite trout stream, but I know there is someone who can help you. If you find the agate, you can keep it and have the jewelry made whenever.

The second thing I want to mention is the winter weather. It gets mighty cold and windy in Glendive. Seriously. No, colder than you think. Make sure your home is weatherized, you have good boots, gloves, hats, coats, comforters, etc. If you rely on a vehicle, make sure it is winter weather ready. This January when you are out, amazed a bright sunny day that is -25 degrees, you will remember this. Best wishes to you and Jess,

Geoff Badenoch

1 comment:

  1. Herro! It's Wilder, Al led me to your blog... looks like your having fun and learning lots. It's also fun to read about so keep it coming! So... just saying herroe!

    -Wilder

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis